In Conversation with Gary O'Keeffe07 Dec 21
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
Not having a mobile phone!
2. What’s your favourite holiday memory?
I don’t like to use the term getting older but…as I get older I’m learning to appreciate holidays as an opportunity to make memories with the kids – the last 18 months have really opened my eyes in that regard.
3. What are you reading? Would you recommend it?
At the minute I am doing the Enterprise Ireland International Selling course so reading a lot more than sportsbooks for a change. This week it’s a book on High Impact Best Practices by Michael McGowan – recommended reading.
4. Which talent would you most like to have?
To be able to sing!
5. What do you consider to be your greatest professional achievement to date?
Given the nature of what we do, it's hard to pick a particular building or project but in any case for me it’s being part of the Ethos story from the beginning, seeing the company grow from a small beginning to what it is today, and feel I played a part in that with some great people
6. What practice area do you specialise in and why does it matter?
I work as part of a team that focuses on mission and critical and data centre design. The is the infrastructure that enables us to live connected lives and allowed us to work from home largely seamlessly during a pandemic
7. What is the quality you most admire in a leader?
Communication, it’s the starting point for everything and the key to solving problems, and the means of getting the message out there.
8. What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever been given?
Perception is reality!
9. Name your favourite building (international only + why?)
The Pantheon in Rome, as you know MEP engineers always look up when we walk into a building and there is some mesmerising about the rotunda.
10. Tell us something not many people know about you.
I’m a power tool junkie! – I use the excuse of not borrowing anything to justify adding to the collection.