In Conversation with Paul Tighe13 Dec 21
1. What is your idea of perfect happiness?
A pint of Guinness in a snug with an open fire on a winter evening in good company of course.
2. What’s your favourite holiday memory?
Scuba Diving in Mexico.
3. What are you reading? Would you recommend it?
I’m an audiobook person. My current listen is ‘The Medici Effect’ which is a book about innovation and the powerful effect of bringing together people and ideas from a range of diverse backgrounds. Definitely worth a read (listen).
4. Which talent would you most like to have?
5. What do you consider to be your greatest professional achievement to date?
Hard to narrow it down to one. I’ve been lucky to have helped deliver many interesting and important projects. Having been part of Ethos from Day 1 it is very satisfying to have been part of the Ethos story and helping to grow the company from the ground up to where it is now.
6. What practice area do you specialise in and why does it matter?
While Mechanical Engineering would be my primary speciality I’ve had to become ambidextrous with regard to Electrical Engineering and Lifts so am comfortable in those areas too.
Sustainable design solutions are important to me. With the increased global focus on energy and carbon performance of the built environment, this element of our work has a greater focus. As Building Services Engineers we are in a prime position to make a difference in the buildings of the future.
7. What is the quality you most admire in a leader?
The ability to recognise and foster potential from their team and help them on their journey to become the best engineer they can be.
8. What’s the best piece of professional advice you’ve ever been given?
‘Under promise and over deliver’. In our deadline-driven industry, it’s so important to manage expectations, especially with so many challenging targets.
9. Name your favourite building (international only + why?)
Apart from Kehoe’s on South Anne Street? There are so many but I’ll go with La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona.
10. Tell us something not many people know about you.
It’s a secret. Otherwise, everyone would know!