Mechanical Design Engineer
Ethos is a Greek word meaning "character". It is used to describe the guiding beliefs or ideals that characterise a community, nation, or ideology.
Ethos Engineering are mechanical and electrical consultants to the data centre, commercial, high-tech healthcare, and pharmaceutical sectors. Our mission is to engineer systems that complement the purpose of each building we design, improve the immediate and surrounding community, and meet the objectives of its operations, inhabitants, patrons, operators, and staff.
We are ambitious, driven, innovative, and passionate about delivering excellence for our clients and their projects, and we never settle for delivering work quickly at the cost of quality. Our work environment is positive, professional, and supportive. We take our work seriously, but we like to have a lot of fun too and we place huge importance on having a great company culture. We have been recognised as a Great Place to Work 2019-2020 and again in 2020-2021.
About Ethos - Regional Group has utilised a talented, dedicated team of mechanical and electrical engineers to build a reputation for delivering innovative solutions on a diverse range of projects in the West of Ireland, and beyond. We are proud to provide our clients with spaces that are comfortable, efficient, and complement the interior design and architecture of buildings. Clients benefit from our vast experience selecting systems, developing designs, and co-ordinating with design teams. We collaborate with our best-in-industry Ethos Sustainability and Ethos Digital teams to provide sustainable designs on projects across the healthcare, commercial and industrial sectors.
Location: Galway City (office based) - Currently work from Home during Covid Lockdown
Salary: € Negotiable
Minimum Qualifications: Degree in relevant 3rd level engineering course (Building Services, Mechanical Engineering, Sustainability Engineering, Energy Engineering etc.)
Essential Experience: 2+ years Industry Experience
Sectors: Commercial, Healthcare, Life Sciences, Industrial
Job Description: : Mechanical Design Engineer / Full-Time Permanent
About the Role – Mechanical Design Engineer
The Regional office of Ethos Engineering is in Galway City. We are currently seeking a mechanical building services design engineer to join us on the delivery of a diverse range of projects. The engineer will have an opportunity to take on new challenges, continuously develop, and solve problems as part of a team. There will be opportunities to work directly with senior management and liaise with design teams and clients.
• Two (2) or more years of industry experience in the field of mechanical building services.
• Knowledge and experience working with Autodesk Revit, with exposure to mechanical layouts and systems.
• Working knowledge of Autodesk AutoCAD and Navisworks.
• Knowledge of all Microsoft Office suites, particularly Word and Excel.
• Working knowledge of various mechanical systems such as heating, air conditioning, plumbing systems, etc.
• Familiar with structural, architectural, and electrical models to appreciate space limitations and interferences.
• Familiar with relevant codes
• Demonstrate an ability to work in a fast-paced environment drive by project deadlines.
• Highly innovative and motivated with an attention to detail.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills; able to communicate effectively with both internal and external clients.
• Able to work independently and contribute to the team.
Design mechanical building systems including heating, ventilation and air conditioning, plumbing and drainage systems in accordance with applicable codes and standards.
• Complete calculations to size mechanical equipment (including boilers, heat pumps, air handling units, AC units, radiators, extract fans etc.).
• Complete calculations to size ductwork, piping, plumbing and drainage, and refrigerant lines.
• Prepare tender drawings, equipment schedules, and specifications.
• Co-ordinate the mechanical system layout with the architectural, structural, and electrical components of a building.
• Prepare project specific details / sketches to clarify project scope and assist with interference coordination between building systems.
• Respond to internal and external communication regarding project or design status.
• Liaise with equipment suppliers / manufacturers for design support, and equipment / component selection.
• Assist with construction administration by conducting site visits, reviewing shop drawing submittals, and preparing change notices, site instructions etc.
• Assist with site reviews, and snagging installations and witnessing system testing.
• Flexible working times
• 20 Days holidays up to 25 days
• Pension Scheme
• Your own company laptop • Working travel out of pocket expenses
• Travel tax scheme or bike to work scheme
• Regular training / mentoring / further college support
• Support for Chartership
• A Professional Subscription Fee paid by the company
• Heavily subsidised social committee (5 a side, golf society, climbing club and regular social events)
At Ethos, our vision is to: “Be the company people want to work with, and for” Values Our values differentiate and focus us every day to be EPIC - for our people and our customers.